One of the most common ways to use drumstick is in a ‘sambar’, a general word for a mixture of vegetables in a thick soup. Here is a basic recipe, which is enough for four people and other vegetables can be added depending on what is available.
- Cook the dhal in water until it is reduced to a paste.
- Cut the drumsticks into small pieces.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seed, onion and green chillie and cook until soft.
- Add three cups of water, drumstick, dhal paste and the curry and coriander leaf together with the other vegetables.
- Boil for ten minutes or until the drumsticks are cooked.
- Serve with rice.
1 large onion
100grm Toor dhal
1 tsp sambar powder
1 green chillie
¼ tsp mustard powder
Small quantities of curry and coriander leaves
2 teaspoons oil